Whether your tax situation is complex or simple, preparing your own taxes can be confusing, time-consuming, and downright stressful. The rules are constantly changing. And while we all want to pay the IRS as little as possible, we also need to make sure we’re complying with the latest federal and state regulations. One simple solution is to hire a tax accountant. But finding the right tax accountant can be anything but simple. You not only want a professional who has experience dealing with tax situations that are similar to yours, but someone you can trust to give you sage advice and file accurate returns. (Note to self: you, not the accountant, are ultimately responsible for the information on your tax return.)
If you’re looking for an experienced, trustworthy tax accountant, here
are the 10 most important questions you need to ask:
1. How long have you been in the tax business?
2. What licenses or designations do you have?
3. What tax issues do you specialize in?
4. Do you have the knowledge and experience to handle my tax situation?
5. What are your fees?
6. Do you perform the work personally?
7. If you outsource any of your work, what is your review process? Who signs the returns?
8. How long will it take to finish my taxes?
10. Do you believe I’m paying too much, too little, or just the right amount of tax?
With tax reform top-of- mind right now, you probably have dozens more questions about how it’s going to impact you and your business. So choosing the right tax accountant is more important ever. Still not sure how to take the first step? Start by giving me a call.